Imagine having a directory of thousands of Black owned businesses at your fingertips? Now imagine adding that online directory with the power of your iPhone? Well that’s what the folks at Around the Way App have done. They’ve decided to use technology to creatively combat the problem of locating black businesses. The App works by using your iPhone’s built in GPS to find your current location and then plots locally black owned business closest to you.
Founder and CEO Janine Hausif explains,
Mobile technology is the wave of the future. It’s important for Black-owned businesses to remain relevant and competitive in today’s economy. Around the Way app was created to do just that: take local Black-owned businesses from Main Street to mainstream.”
Around The Way App Features:
- Locates Black Owned Business Near You – The app automatically finds your location and plots the nearest Black owned businesses.
- Get Directions to a Black Owned Business - Get step-by-step directions to the Black owned businesses near you.
- Save Your Favorite Black Business - Create a customizable favorites list. Find a place you like, LOCK IT IN for future visits.
- Black Business Categories - Search for Black businesses via one of the 9 categories or simply “View All.”
- Sharing Black Businesses - Share each individual Black owned business via Facebook, Twitter or email.
Currently, the app is only available for the Apple iPhone in the Apple app store, but the company plans to expand to the Android platform in early 2013. The app currently has 17,000 black-owned businesses in the US, mainly in New York City and other Metropolitan areas, but black businesses who have yet to be added can plug in their business directly on the company’s website.